Thursday, April 5, 2012

In Honor of Sarah Buller



Three years ago today an amazing young women was taken from this earth…

My connection to Sarah is a bit strange, our moms were best friends in kindergarten. And though my mom moved away soon after they somehow managed to maintain the friendship through the years and remain close friends to this day (crazy, huh!)

As long as I can remember my family has stayed at the Buller family farm in Hendricks, Minnesota as part of our whirlwind Midwest vacations to visit family and friends. Occurring every other year or so it is a time to re-visit our Midwest roots. The time spent on the Buller farm and at the cabin on the lake are always a highly anticipated part of the tradition.

The entire Buller family is always very welcoming and hospitable to us. Excellent hosts who make us feel comfortable and involve us in all the exciting (for us city folks) aspects of living on a farm. 

But Sarah always went above and beyond. Though we only saw each other for a few days every other year, it felt like we were hanging out with an old friend. She was such a loving person, and that love shone through her words and actions.

I know that her faith played a huge role in her life, and I feel like she really was one of the best examples I have seen of how to love your neighbor as your self. She was always serving and loving those around her with a big smile on her face. And I don’t think I ever heard her say a harsh thing to or about anyone.

After finishing high school she followed her faith and her servant heart to serve in South Africa for nine months. In talking about why she wanted to go she said “We can't just sit and let people walk by us everyday that are hurting and lost and not tell them about the grace, the love Christ gives us.”

She was busy loving on kids that had experienced all kinds of brokenness when the unthinkable happened. There was a car accident and three days short of her nineteenth birthday Sarah died.


But Sarah lives on. In the memory of the innumerable people whose lives she touched with her love and kindness and faith. In the actions that those people have in turn taken, to go out and impact the world. In her family, who instead of wallowing in grief instead stood firmly in faith. Who continue to send their children out into the world to serve and to love. Who proclaim the love of God even amongst their pain.

Beloved Sarah we are glad that you are celebrating in Heaven, though we miss you here. I am eternally grateful for the time that I was able to spend with you and I thank you for the inspiration that you were for me and countless others.  We love you!

 

Our families together the last time I saw her (Sarah far right)

Things got a little crazy...

No comments:

Post a Comment